Carpetime Floor Covering Company was opened by Walt Selinger sometime in 1959 at 1240 E. Indian School Road in Phoenix, Arizona.
Distinctive Home Furnishings
1240 E. Indian School Rd.
The store specialized in a large amount of flooring/carpeting/rugs and advertised heavily in newspapers. The advertising worked and the store became a big success.
The store was renovated in 1963 to make it more modern (see postcard above).
The success led to the opening of seven other locations in Arizona:
1805 E. Baseline Road – Tempe
4240 W. Bell Rd. Ste. 11 – Glendale
220 W. Main St. – Mesa
9133 NW Grand Ave. – Peoria
6900 E. Thomas – Scottsdale
13637 N. Tatum Blvd. – Paradise Valley
4940 E. Ray Road – Ahwautakee
The original location lost its lease and closed in January 1996.
One month later Carpetime merged with Carpetmax and took on the Carpetmax name, thus ending the 37 year history of Carpetime.