The Po’Keepsie Motor was located at 481 South Road – Route 9 in Poughkeepsie, New York. As you can tell from the postcard above, the motel was located right next to a Howard Johnson’s restaurant.
The official grand opening for the motel was October 21, 1956. With 53 units and a swimming pool, the Po’Keepsie offered “all the conveniences of the city plus the quiet, peaceful surrounding of beautiful rural Dutchess County.”
According to advertising cost was never questioned. Wall-to-wall carpeting and TV came standard in each room, which was not cheap at the time.
In the 1960s the motel was renovated and modernized. 115 total rooms and a large, neon sign with an arrow helped give the Po’Keepsie a much higher profile.
The Po’Keepsie is an unusual motel in the fact that it lasted and lasted and remained independent for 30 plus years. However, a low occupancy ratethroughout the late 1980s changed the mindset of the management.
In 1989, it was announced that the plucky Po’Keepsie had decided to join a franchise and become an Econo-Lodge.
The building is still standing. It is no longer an Econo Lodge and is now named, once more, the Poughkeepsie Inn.